Teacher Appreciation Week
May 7 – 11, 2018
PTA Teacher Appreciation Week is just around the corner from May 7 – 11. It’s the perfect time to personally thank your students’ teachers and staff for their sacrifices and support for children throughout the year.
The California State PTA understands the importance of staff appreciation in building a stronger home-to-school connection. PTA resources may be used for this type of expense.
- Acceptable expenditures may include a staff lunch as long as the expenses follow PTA guidelines and the expenses are approved by the membership.
- Personal gifts or gifts for individuals cannot be purchased with PTA funds.
- If the membership wishes to present teachers and staff with personal gifts, the individual members can make personal donations to purchase the designated items. These donations should not be commingled with PTA funds.
CAPTA – Teacher Appreciation Week
National PTA – Promotional Toolkit including certificates, digital and social media graphics
National PTA – View posts tagged with #ThankATeacher
Teacher/Staff Appreciation Question:
If PTA funds cannot be used to purchase gifts, what our options?
- Involving no funds: Children can write thank you notes to their teacher and staff.
- Personal Funds: Parents can buy gifts and give gifts directly to their child’s teacher.
- Personal Funds: Room parents can collect money and present the teacher with a gift from the whole class (whether each family donated or not). The donations do not go through the PTA.
- PTA Funds: PTA can provide staff lunches, breakfast, coffee carts, etc. which are for the whole staff. The limitation is that less than 5% of the PTA budget should be spent on these types of purchases for the entire year. This includes food provided by the PTA at meetings, principal’s coffees, and cafecitos, etc.