Join California State PTA Vice President for Health & Community Concerns Shereen Walter and special guest presenter Stan Collins from SuicideIsPreventable.org to learn how to recognize the warning signs for suicide and what to do when you see them.
Find out about trainings and resources available to parents, school staff and youth to increase awareness and help students. Hear how parents can create safe conversations about suicide with their children.
Suicide Prevention Webinar
Tuesday, May 29, 2018
6 – 7 p.m.
Get $50 when you open a new ScholarShare 529 college savings account! ScholarShare 529 knows how important it is to reach your college savings goals. That’s why they teamed up with California State PTA to invite you to participate in 5/29 Day on May 29 by opening a new college savings account – which they’ll add $50 to. One week until 5/29 Day!
Benefits of a ScholarShare 529 College Savings Plan:
- 100% tax free growth – pay no state and federal taxes on funds used toward qualified expenses
- Low cost – less than half the national average
- Go anywhere – use at any accredited school in the U.S. and abroad
- Investment choice – flexibility with professional management
Take advantage of this special offer from May 29 – June 1, 2018.
Learn more about ScholarShare 529 and the college savings plan at www.scholarshare529.com/529day.
Saturday, May 19
Mary Perry, California State PTA VP for Education will lead an interactive workshop for parents & guardians!
Learn how to:
- Use the CA School Dashboard online tool to measure school & district success.
- Search for and analyze your school’s data.
- Understand how the Dashboard data & the Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP) work together.
- Explore your role in helping your school and school district succeed in the coming year!
Edsource: Contrary to critics
, parents tell pollster they find California’s school dashboard useful [Article]
Note: Both officer training and this workshop for parents/guardians will be taking place at Peterson MS on the same day.
Council Officers can attend this year’s Spring Training for FREE!
We have found a common problem throughout our units this year has been the result of miscommunication and conflict. We are excited to have California State PTA VP of Leadership, Tom Horn, present a workshop to help us deal with these issues:
Managing People and Conflict
- This workshop will focus on developing leadership skills to assist in creating and managing cohesive relationships in your PTA work. We will walk you through practical steps to prevent and manage conflict, and the information learned in this workshop can also be useful in other aspects of your personal life.
Council officers who sign up for this workshop can also attend any other workshops for FREE! If you are attending the whole day, you will also receive free lunch.
Diane Foote will be presenting two workshops specific to Council officers:
Council 1: Officer Training
- It’s different outside the individual unit! Understand your new role as a council leader. Required officer positions will be covered. You are an important link in the PTA structure, and there are resources and tools to help you support your members.
Council 2: Unit Financials provide a window into the Unit
- Council and District PTAs have the responsibility to collect and review financial reports and tax filings. What does that mean? Let’s get together and discuss the financial documents you should be collecting (and forwarding to Sixth District), what you’re looking for in these documents, and how to communicate with units what you found in reviewing their financial documentation. We have the cheat sheets and can help you develop a strategy for collecting and reviewing. Financial health is only one indication of the health of a PTA.
We encourage all council officers to attend these workshops.
You may want to attend the regular workshop for your position so that you can be prepared to lead training in your councils as needed.
Use discount code: COUNCIL to set the registration fee to $0. You will be billed the full fee if the Conflict workshop is not included in your registration, or you do not cancel by 5/11/18.
Saturday, May 19, 2018
8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Peterson Middle School
1380 Rosalia Dr., Sunnyvale 94087
PTA elections are taking place this month…..check out the job descriptions:
Board Job Descriptions – Council
Positions currently filled for next year….and available positions:
President Laura Raimondi
Executive Vice President Open
1st VP, Membership Marc McGeever
2nd VP, Communication Open
3rd VP, Parent Education Open
Treasurer Terri Jimenez
Financial Secretary Christine Gray
Barbara Emerich High School Senior Scholarship
Barbara Emerich held PTA leadership positions for over 50 years. Sixth District PTA proudly honors her extraordinary service by awarding scholarships to two high school seniors who best exemplify her dedication to youth and families.