Join us for PTA Officer Training! We’re offering 2 dates and 4 classes. Join us once or as many times as you are available. Classes are free and will be held 6:30pm – 8:30pm in two convenient locations:
** January 16 will be held at the San Jose Unified School District Office (855 Lenzen Ave, San Jose, CA 95126).
** January 22 will be held at the Sunnyvale School District Office (819 W Iowa Ave. Sunnyvale Ca, 94086)
Preregistration is not required, but it helps us ensure we have sufficient supplies & space. Several Sixth District PTA officers will be available to answer your questions. We hope you will join us. Sign up today!
Did you know that low-income families may be eligible for discount internet service at home for $10-$20 a month? Offers are available from AT&T, Spectrum, Comcast, Cox, and Frontier. Learn if your household qualifies by visiting www.everyoneon.org/capta.
There will be 4 workshops offered at Sunnyvale School District Officers (Dec 5th) and San Jose Unified School District offices (Dec 12th).
Executive Board Training: This training will make your job easier and start to give you a better understanding of the role of the Executive Board and the financial responsibilities of all officers and chairs. All members of the executive board (elected and appointed officers, committee chairs, principal or teacher rep) should consider attending; your training will be more meaningful if you & other members of the board attend the training as a team.
Basic Parliamentarian Training: · We will discuss the role and duties of the parliamentarian. We will also review unit bylaws. Learn what is in your bylaws and why. Knowing what’s in your bylaws can make you a better officer and PTA member. Make your PTA life easier — Get the most out of your bylaws! Brief introduction to e-bylaws
Audit and Monthly Review Requirements:· CSPTA Insurance requires that there be audits and monthly review. If loss occurs and there has been no audit, there is no coverage. Don’t wait until the end of the year to prepare for the audit. Get simple strategies and tips for making audits and the monthly review a piece of cake! Learn how to plan, conduct and report the outcome of your PTA audit. Reassure your members their resources are being managed in a businesslike manner which complies with all regulations. This workshop is not just for auditors; any officer, especially the president, treasurer and secretary, would benefit from understanding what is required to pass a PTA audit.
More workshops will be offered in January
All students in California deserve the opportunity to enroll in high quality arts education curriculum that will provide them with the important skills they need to succeed in today’s competitive workforce. Prior to 2016, we lacked the tools to show us where (and how) arts education is offered across the state. That’s why Create CA, the California Department of Education and the Arts Education Data Project have joined together to provide a new suite of tools to help increase participation and ensure student success in arts education.
Here’s how you can help with the movement:
- Look at your data. This video from Create CA will explain how to examine your data. Access the data here
- Work together. Take the information you gathered from the data to your PTA and work on a strategy for ways to improve access to the arts at your school or in your school district
- Make your ask. Speak to your principal, school board, or superintendent. Go to your LCAP meetings. Share your findings with them and ask for increased access to the arts for all students
- Offer solutions. Don’t threaten, but offer suggestions and solutions. Ask the district to re-examine their Visual and Performing Arts Plan (VAPA Plan) and include parents in the review. Offer to speak to neighboring districts about their areas of success to see if that is something your district can duplicate
- Use our resources. CreateCA and California State PTA both have resources for you to use. Familiarize yourself not only with the Data Plan, but the Parents’ Guide to the Visual and Performing Arts in California Public Schools
- Follow, share and persist. Follow Create CA and California State PTA on social media. Share arts information on your website or social media and keep the parents at your school informed
When it comes to the first day of school, kids — and parents — may be excited and a bit nervous. Anxious feelings are normal and expected during times of transition or change. This is especially true for children and teens going back to school, or for first-timers starting kindergarten.
This transition can be stressful and disruptive for the entire family! Prior to the first day of school, your anxious child may cling, cry, have temper tantrums, have trouble sleeping, complain of headaches or stomach pains, withdraw and become sullen or irritable.
Here are some tips for helping ease the stress of a new school year and starting on a positive note:
- Re-assure your child
- Point out the positives
- Prepare ahead and start a routine
- Encourage safe traveling to and from school
- Plan for special needs
- Make your child feel comfortable
- Prepare for emergency situation
Read more at www.capta.org/tips-for-parents.
The next San Jose Unified Council PTA meeting will be held on Monday, August 26th at 7:00 PM.
Monday August 26, 2019, 7:00 PM,
SJUSD 855 Lenzen Ave, San Jose, CA 95126 Room #149
Registration for our Fall Leadership Training is still $15 until Monday August 12, 2019.
Don’t wait and register today so that you secure your spot in workshops that are in high demand!
Saturday August 17, 2019
8:30am – 12:30pm
1380 Rosalia Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087