Council Officers can attend this year’s Spring Training for FREE!
We have found a common problem throughout our units this year has been the result of miscommunication and conflict. We are excited to have California State PTA VP of Leadership, Tom Horn, present a workshop to help us deal with these issues:
Managing People and Conflict
- This workshop will focus on developing leadership skills to assist in creating and managing cohesive relationships in your PTA work. We will walk you through practical steps to prevent and manage conflict, and the information learned in this workshop can also be useful in other aspects of your personal life.
Council officers who sign up for this workshop can also attend any other workshops for FREE! If you are attending the whole day, you will also receive free lunch.
Diane Foote will be presenting two workshops specific to Council officers:
Council 1: Officer Training
- It’s different outside the individual unit! Understand your new role as a council leader. Required officer positions will be covered. You are an important link in the PTA structure, and there are resources and tools to help you support your members.
Council 2: Unit Financials provide a window into the Unit
- Council and District PTAs have the responsibility to collect and review financial reports and tax filings. What does that mean? Let’s get together and discuss the financial documents you should be collecting (and forwarding to Sixth District), what you’re looking for in these documents, and how to communicate with units what you found in reviewing their financial documentation. We have the cheat sheets and can help you develop a strategy for collecting and reviewing. Financial health is only one indication of the health of a PTA.
We encourage all council officers to attend these workshops.
You may want to attend the regular workshop for your position so that you can be prepared to lead training in your councils as needed.
Use discount code: COUNCIL to set the registration fee to $0. You will be billed the full fee if the Conflict workshop is not included in your registration, or you do not cancel by 5/11/18.
Saturday, May 19, 2018
8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Peterson Middle School
1380 Rosalia Dr., Sunnyvale 94087
San José Unified will host the third and final districtwide town hall meeting of the school year on Monday, April 30th, from 6-8pm in the Lincoln High School Media Center. All families, students, staff, and community members are encouraged to attend.
The district portion of this town hall will focus on the use of Measure Y parcel tax funds. Options will be presented for feedback from the public. There will be an open forum after that. Board, Council, and Cabinet members will be in attendance and will respond questions, comments, and concerns as time permits. The district office will publish formal responses following the meeting.
You can download the event flyer in English and Spanish
Please eRSVP on Eventbrite.
Substance abuse trends in adolescents on Thursday, April 5th at 7:00 PM Pioneer High School. Open to all.
Thursday, April 27 to Saturday, April 29
The California State PTA Convention Committee is searching for volunteers.
- For every 4.5 hour shift you work, you can attend any other half-day at the Convention for free.
California State PTA’s Convention is in Ontario this year (April 27 – 29, 2018).
Sixth District PTA and Santa Clara Valley PTA are offering scholarships of up to $500 to PTA leaders who expect to be officers or chairpersons at their unit or council next school year.
are due to Santa Clara Valley PTA by Friday, March 30, 2018
- Full-time: $219 (price increases April 1 to $269)
- One day: $99 (price increases April 1 to $149)
Cyber Safety Workshop
What you hope your kids (elementary, middle, and high) are doing online isn’t always what they’re actually doing.
Join us to learn how you can use The Smart Talk to get on the same page with your kids and establish an open conversation about digital safety. FREE EVENT.
- DATE: Tuesday, February 6, 2018
- PLACE: Gunderson High School, 622 Gaundabert Lane, San Jose 95136
- TIME: 6:00 PM Refreshments – 6:30 PM Program
Come and meet:
- Director of Resource Development at National PTA – Amy Sheldon
- California State PTA President – Diana McDonald
- SJUSD Student Services Director – Dane Caldwell-Holden
To RSVP, contact:
SPONSORED BY National PTA, California State PTA, Sixth District PTA, San Jose Unified Council PTA, San Jose Unified School District
What Do You Consider Lethal? Parent/Teen Safe Driving Workshop is being presented by Impact Teen Drivers and California Highway Patrol. This workshop is sponsored by Lincoln High School PTSA Parents and students are welcome. Spanish translation is being offered. The event is free.
Come learn more about:
- Strategies to keep your kids safe on the roads
- Graduated Drivers Licensing (GDL) Laws
- How you can help stop the #1 killer of teens – reckless and distracted driving
January 29, 2018 at 7:00 PM
Lincoln High School, Lincoln Center, 555 Dana Ave., San Jose 95126